Mr. Hulsey believes that, “Success carries with it the responsibility of helping others less fortunate.” In addition to his practice of law, Mr. Hulsey is active in community service and a major contributor to Charleston’s philanthropic community. His philanthropic endeavors include, among many others:
- Mr. Hulsey served as the funding donor for the Lowcountry Food Bank donating in excess of $1,000,000 to secure their new facility, the Paul Hulsey Community Food and Nutrition Center. He is an annual sponsor of the Food Bank’s Back Pack Buddies Program that provides weekend meals for underprivileged children who might not otherwise have food over the weekends. He is an advisor to the Food Bank on policies and procedures and a frequent speaker to the community to further their mission.
- Primary donor/sponsor of Crisis Ministries’ Homeless Medical Clinic; sponsor of the Shelter remodeling and rehabilitation, including new beds and lockers.
- Annual Presenting Sponsor of South Carolina Special Olympics; personally underwrote the golf program; underwrote Olympians travel to Europe for competition.
- Underwrote the construction of MUSC’s Children’s Hospital Miracle House donating all profits to the hospital.
- Sponsor of Good News Christian School’s After-School Program, providing after-school snacks and tutoring to Latino children whose parents speak little English.
- Honorary Chairman of Chefs’ Feast (2008) - fundraiser to benefit the Kids’ Café for the Lowcountry Food Bank.
- Funding donor/Board Member Emeritus and Special Counsel to YESCarolina, an organization that certifies high school teachers throughout the State to teach entrepreneurship to high school students in order to better prepare them to compete in the business world.
- Sponsored the entire 4th grade at James Simons Elementary School’s trip to Atlanta to visit the Martin Luther King, Jr. Museum and create essays and photo essays of the trip for class credit.
- Sponsor/Financial Supporter of Rural Mission which provides essential services to indigent families, children and the elderly, including past purchase of a dwelling to house a nine member family, purchase a new Mission van. His assistance with the operations included regularly providing financial support to help with their operation as well as various miscellaneous requests such as paying for funeral expenses of poor families who have lost their children and assisting the elderly of the barrier islands with their needs.
- Major contributor to Porter Gaud Campaign to fund new school building.
- Recipient of the Charleston Salvation Army’s Philanthropy Award for donation to replace warehouse of spoiled food for Thanksgiving.
- Recipient of the Mayor Johnnie Dodd Philanthropic Award sponsored by the Medical University of South Carolina.
- Member Emeritus and former Chairman of the Medical University of South Carolina Children’s Hospital Advisory Board Children’s Hospital.
- Former member of the Board of the Susan Komen Foundation.
- Recipient of Charleston Magazine’s “Giving Back” Award in 2009.
- Sponsored the Yo Art Project which provides underprivileged children with an opportunity to learn computer science and graphics, photography and develop creative writing skills. Donated the location and underwrote the cost of an art show involving 40 multimedia presentations by the children to the public.
- Provided the location and underwrote the cost for Special Olympians and other intellectually challenged people to display their artwork to the public during the Charleston Art Walk.
- Charleston Heart Association major matching donation.
In addition, Mr. Hulsey has made numerous other charitable donations of time, goods and services throughout the Lowcountry.